Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Do It All

Inspirational song: I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) (Meatloaf)

Five years ago, Mr S-P and I were house-hunting in Charleston. This was several months before we found what became my original Park. One day, we were at most three miles away from where we ended up buying the Park, but the neighborhood had a very different feel to it. The house we were viewing was a big, white plaster house, with two-story columns out front. The inside was not quite as grand as the facade. It was a little choppy inside, with a small formal living room directly in front of a small family room off of the kitchen. The man was looking at the place as what it could be, not what it was. He kept talking about knocking down walls, moving key features, and all sort of projects he wanted to start in this place. I hopped up on the kitchen counter, and let him talk. I just kept nodding, saying, "Uh-huh. And how much would that cost. Okay. and how long will it take to do? And then what? K. And the cost for that one?" Once we had added it up, I asked the key question: "How much time will you have away from work to do this?" I didn't stop him from dreaming, I just wanted to make sure he was dreaming with his eyes open. Our realtor watched this interaction with fascination. She said, "You guys are so different. You have this vision of houses that I can't comprehend." It was part compliment, part frustration.

I've been working with a cool set of clients for a couple months now. Today we viewed a house that I really wasn't sure about. I walked in and thought, wow this is a lot of work. They walked in, and saw a completely redesigned kitchen, completely different flooring, room for privacy for one kid, opportunities for expansion, and a giant yard of their dreams. I felt like our old realtor from South Carolina. I was amazed and a little in awe of all that they saw in the bones of this house. I can't say yet whether they are going to offer on it. They still have to finish their family meeting on it. But if they do... I asked the husband of this family to promise to give me pictures of the finished product if they decide to tackle it. This sturdy 1970s classic has the potential to be really interesting. It will be exciting to watch the progress of it.

I sent mom back home this morning. She had a long travel day. I'm still waiting to hear that she finally made it to her house. I hope I provided enough entertainment for her. My skills as a hostess are a little fragile these days. I found myself needing an extra long nap today. It was all worth it, though. We did a lot of things I've wanted to share with my mom, even if a couple of them were not as we expected they would be (seriously, I have never seen Shine so crowded and loud). I did all that I could to bring her the Colorado Experience. We got to almost everything. But there were a few things I couldn't do. Maybe next time. I'm sure that there will be a next time, and that is what matters.





No comments:

Post a Comment