Friday, May 6, 2016

In a Heartbeat

Inspirational song: Owner of a Lonely Heart (Yes)

Another day, another medical test. Have I mentioned how glad I am that this waited until we got our insurance straightened out, and I only have $12 copays for all of this nonsense? This time was another heart scan. I had an echocardiogram once before, years ago when they were sorting through all of us gullible folks who tried fen-phen in the 90s for potential litigants, so I knew what to expect. Back then, my results were unremarkable. I have no idea whether today will turn out the same. I told the tech who performed the scan I expected it to be so, since for decades everything always came back "within normal limits," thus making it very difficult to discover that it was lupus making me feel awful all the time. Doctors don't tend to believe you when they can't quantify your pain in a lab. I assume that this all has to run past a cardiologist (who will bill me something) before it goes to my primary care doc for discussion. For now, all I can confirm is yes, I do still own a heart, and yes, it does continue to beat. If it helps, the red sound wave/blood flow indicator part of the test looked really cool on the screen. I wanted it as art.

Three days in a row, I have gone out planting in the Park. Don't let my doctor know. First, she will quiz me on how well I covered up (no hat today--SHHH), and then she will assume that all of those pills and supplements she put me on are working. I'm almost afraid she'll add more. I had to go buy more tonight, that I was supposed to add in a week ago. To anyone who ever asked me whether I'm drinking enough water on a daily basis, please bear in mind that I have to take at least 14 pills a day (I think I'm leaving some out when I count on my fingers). But honestly, if it means I have enough days where I'm up to digging holes and pulling weeds, I'll keep taking them.

I managed to get another large group of flowers in the ground. Early this morning, I put in a "Gold Heart" bleeding heart, a little forget-me-not, and a variegated-leaf vinca. I had to wait until after my test and nap to go back out, racing against the rain to put in a Cardinal columbine, three day lilies (Pandora's Box, Bela Lugosi, and Pardon Me), plus the rest of the gladiolus bulbs. I took a picture of the day lilies, peonies, and glads as they existed today. I hope that in a few years, I'll have a hard time remembering this spot so bare, because all of these flowers will be so filled in. I need something to look forward to, and a Park surrounded by thousands of flowers is as good as anything.









No comments:

Post a Comment