Friday, May 13, 2016

Local Color

Inspirational song: Money (Cabaret)

Once upon a time, we were the kind of people who could go, go, go on vacation, needing to have activities to fill every moment of the day and night, and having the energy to attend all these events. These days, I don't even remember what that feels like. We had only a few things on deck for today, and it was just right. I made an appointment for my mother to get a massage (because, hello, have you flown lately? Airplane seats are blood-clot-inducing torture devices), and while she was there, I went to take advantage of the deep discounts of a liquor store that had to sell all of its inventory in a short time. (As an aside, it's really kind of sad seeing rows of empty shelves with just a few bottles left in clumps near their original price tag signs.) We drove in circles a little after, so I could show her just how incredibly cute this town is, with quaint old prairie houses, stunning gardens, and small town charm. We were inspired to check out a gluten-free bakery that I've driven past far too many times. I was long overdue for shopping there. I'll be going back, many times over. And I recreated something I'd gotten at a Whole Foods salad bar, and made hemp seed tabouli for lunch. So far, I feel like I'm succeeding in finding the "Colorado experience" for mom.

While my Okie mother was here to visit, my Colorado native husband was driving through my old home town. He hadn't planned on it, but it ended up being the most logical route through the state to get from the last friend he visited to the next. So my daughter and I insisted he hit the old spots, and send back a few pictures. I wish I could have been there with him, but if I had been, who would have been here to chase off the squirrel who decided she needed to sharpen her teeth on my bovine skull lawn ornament?

We closed our evening with a local production of Cabaret. I've seen the movie a few times, but it turns out that is only one moment in an ever-evolving story. Every time there is a new production of this show, new songs appear, old songs get rewritten, characters go in and out of the closet, and the disturbing imagery of the rise of the Nazi party gets new treatment so it never loses its shock value. I don't know how many other productions do this, but having audience members stand and sing Tomorrow Belongs to Me along with the mob at the end of Act I made a song that already gives me chills feel even more sinister than ever. The local cast was talented, and while the performance wasn't at the level of a Broadway show, it was well done and worth our time to attend. I'll be interested in seeing more shows by this theater company. It makes me like my new home town all the more.













No comments:

Post a Comment