Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Quirky

Inspirational song: Celebration (Kool & the Gang)

I know some of you who read this have been in marching band at some point in your lives. Some of you may have done it so recently, you could still pick up your instrument and play your school's fight song from memory. For others, it's a hazy memory, like it is for me. It was one of the best times of my life, but there were a few things that got old about it very quickly. One of the things I hated was that for every time the team made a first down (and back then CU actually did that fairly often), we played a tag from the song "Celebration." It was a song I'd tolerated when it first came out, but after four years of marching band, I hated it. Yet here I am, on a milestone day, using it as my song. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

On Saturday I showed a quirky older (much older) home to my clients. We all fell in love with it on sight. It has the potential to be a showpiece, with love and attention. Better yet, it has the potential to be more than just a house for this family. It can be a real home. We all got way too emotionally invested, and tied in knots about whether we would win the bid, and for days I've barely been able to eat or sleep or focus on anything. This morning, when I was just sure we'd lost out, I texted the listing agent to find out what happened, and I am fairly certain the tone of my text sounded like Eeyore was doing the writing. When she told me that the decision wasn't final yet and that she thought the seller was viewing our offer favorably, I got giddy. But still I had to wait. By the time we finally got word, I was already getting ready for another showing this evening, and I had to scramble to get all the pieces going in the right order. I made a couple stupid omissions, but I think I have most of them handled. But what it comes down to is that I got one! Finally!

The showing this evening was a lot of fun. It was an older house that was built in the 1940s and probably added on to. It was in great shape, also quirky like the above house, and also a joy to tour. The grounds showed the influence of a master gardener who really knows how to create drama and vignettes, and also one who loves to grow food. There was a sunroom that was so lovely I coveted it unabashedly. And the place was filled with glorious antiques. Everywhere we turned, there was some cool old object, like a gramophone, a pedal operated whetstone. cast iron chocolate pot, and wooden airplane propeller. When we lived in Charleston, we went on house tours of the fancy residences down on the peninsula. Once we toured Frank Abagnale's house (the guy the Tom Hanks/Leonardo DiCaprio movie "Catch Me If You Can" was based on). This place reminded me a lot of his home, with all the cool furnishings and details. I can't say I've gone into too many houses where I kept looking at the listing sheet thinking, "All they want for this is HOW much? It's worth twice that!" Don't know whether the clients want to make an offer, but I sure do. Too bad I don't want to move again.








No comments:

Post a Comment