Saturday, May 14, 2016

In the Crowd

Inspirational song: Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd)

The "Colorado Experience" took an odd left turn today. But oddly, it still was true to life here. I got called in to work (by people I adore, so this is a good thing, I swear) unexpectedly, and I was elbow deep in the crazy soup that is the Colorado real estate market. There was only one house out of five when my clients and I were alone on the whole showing. And to be clear, only one of them was an open house. Competition is ludicrous. People kept showing up, realtors knocking at the doors while we were inside, or even worse, the time when people showed up without their realtor and asked me to just let them in. (Um, how about I let them in and wait with them until the realtor shows...) The best house we saw was only allowing viewings from 11-5 today, and before 6:30 this evening, they had accepted an offer and gone into pending status. It's a shame, since we were starting to work up an offer ourselves. It wasn't even "active/backup" status, but pending. No backups. No chance to get a foot in the door. I think from now on I need to travel with a half-completed contract ready to go. It's the only way to be done in time.

We had plans to spend the evening at Shine, the uber-Boulder restaurant. We thought it was going to be a nice, quiet experience, like it has been every other time we went. This time, it was not the case. There was a book launch party, hundreds of people, DJs playing loud music, crowds around the free food sample tables, and waitresses elbowing their way through with plates of truffles and gluten-free cookies. We powered through and went ahead and sat at a table for a real meal. The menu was limited to the bar food, but that was just as well. We had plenty to eat, and it was terrific. It was just impossible to hear everyone at the table and even getting out of the venue was a struggle. I might have to take mom back there tomorrow or the next day so she can enjoy it in quiet.

Still have lots of plans for the Colorado Experience. We get some mountain time tomorrow. I hope the cool weather that blew in keeps the traffic up the hill to a minimum. But we're going in the direction of Rocky Mountain National Park, so I don't know that we will be so lucky as to avoid the crowds.





No comments:

Post a Comment