Saturday, November 19, 2016

Black and Gold

Inspirational song: Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)

There was another open house scheduled for the property that I have under contract. It was supposed to be today from one to three, but the listing agent canceled it when we made our agreement on Thursday. Several people had already seen the announcement, however, and a few people wanted to see the property. I pulled up for a second showing to my clients about five minutes after one this afternoon, and a van slowly rolled up behind my car. While I sat in my car, quietly texting and waiting for my buyers, I noticed the passenger in the van leaned out and grabbed a flyer from the yard sign. I watched them in my rear view mirror and mumbled, "Move along, folks. This is under contract. You can't have it." Before we were done with our scheduled hour, another two cars drove up, looking for the open house. My buyer was heading out to his white pickup truck, tape measure in hand, looking for all the world to be a worker in the trades. So when a couple in a sedan asked him about an open house he said, "Uh... I think it's under contract." We got a good laugh over his calm deflection.

When I saw the photos on this listing last week, I was underwhelmed. So was the dad of my family of buyers. I thought there was no way they were going to want it. Mr Buyer admitted he almost didn't even come to the showing. The photos did not do it justice. This house is wonderful, and even the man came around once they got a good look at it. I knew their daughter loved it, as she and I had a good conversation about the house on the first tour. On the second showing, mom and daughter had their feelings confirmed, and the boys got a chance to see their new home. Watching everyone plan furniture layouts and paint schemes made me so happy. It was a long search, but I know in my heart that they've found a winner. The older son wanted to be in charge of doing all the painting, and the younger one suggested colors that would appeal to an avant-garde young man. I've waited a long time for this payoff, and it's everything I wanted.

I alerted my buyer family that I'd be super distracted, because they wanted to view the house right as the CU game kicked off. As I was sneaking off to let them measure the house by themselves, so that I could listen to the game on my phone, Mr Buyer asked me a whole slew of important, relevant questions regarding home warranties. Didn't he realize how big this game was? I was a good little realtor, and gave my best answers to his questions, without saying that I'd check on it, but kickoff! I'm proud of how well I managed to be a grownup about it. Once the tour was over, it was all football, all the way home. I'm lucky I didn't do anything stupid on the interstate. At least not much. Halfway back, as I was totally focused on listening to the work of CU's defense, culminating in a quarterback sack and an involuntary fist pump by me in the car, I looked up, and someone in a giant black Chevy pickup was waving at me out the open passenger window as he/she drove by. I wonder whether it was someone I knew, or did I do something stupid with my car? I thought I was maintaining proper following distance in the cruising lane, and driving the proper speed. From then on, I was a little more aware of my driving, but only a little.



No comments:

Post a Comment