Monday, November 14, 2016

Notice Me

Inspirational song: November Spawned a Monster (Morrissey)

It was after dark when I left town and went to show another house. As I turned east, off of the interstate, I saw a pink glow on the clouds sort of overhead of the town where I was going. I thought to myself, hm, Greeley has a lot of light pollution. They must not be part of the dark skies initiative. I kept driving down the not-so-lonely highway on the empty plains, and looked back at the shimmering clouds. I realized that there was a creamy yellow arc just beginning to peep above the bright haze in the sky. Oh, right. "Super moon." (I giggled when I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson tweet that it was "super" if you consider a 16.05 inch pizza super compared to a 16 inch one.) I sort of looked at the windows last night, but it was at a time of night when I couldn't see the moon from anywhere inside, while it was directly overhead. I  had decided I'd be just fine without going out of my way to see it. And then it snuck up on me and impressed me anyway. Moonrise was gorgeous, and it was interesting watching it clear the clouds, changing size and shape, as well as clarity, in the same way that your fingers seem to change when viewed from behind a full drinking glass. I told myself I wasn't going to take any pictures of it, but then it looked so hopeful that I would pay it just a little more attention when I parked in front of the house that was for sale. Okay, just a couple pictures, to test the cell phone camera one more time.

I told the teenage daughter of my buyers, "I've taken your mom and dad to so many houses that I really liked, and I reeeaaallly like this one." She agreed with me. There were some objectively cool homes that Mr and Mrs Buyer totally passed on. Tonight's house was one of the best I've taken them to yet, but it was a total surprise to me. I thought it was only marginal, based on the listing photos, and yet once inside, I wanted to stay forever. It might have been the way it was furnished. Based on the decorations and the crafting items in the place, I suspect I would really like the homeowners. Or at least I would be intrigued by them. Their crafting room in the basement was a thing of beauty, and I covet it more than I ought. They even had a professional t-shirt press and a delicate scale they used to make their own bullets. You just couldn't run out of conversation topics with family who has a room like that.

While I was driving, I was coming up with all sorts of topics about which to write, and by the time I got home and made dinner, I was tired and interested only in playing a long game on the iPad. I've completely forgotten the things that I thought might make for quality writing. If I'm lucky, a few of them will float back through my head over the week to come, but I am not holding my breath for it. If the topics weren't so riveting to keep my attention for a few hours, they're better left out on their own, not captured in my three paragraphs for the night.






No comments:

Post a Comment