Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Roast Beast

Inspirational song: When I Was Young (Eric Burdon & the Animals)

I need someone to back me up on dates. It is possible that today would have been my grandmother's 100th birthday. If not that, then it's the 101st. When I recognized the date, I decided to do what I frequently do to commemorate birthdays of people who were important to me when I was young: I make some sort of food that reminds me of them. I most strongly associate pot roast with gravy and green beans with my grandmother. Well, that and cantaloupe, but I can't stand cantaloupe, so I don't eat it. While Mr X was out helping me take care of the Park by clearing out plant debris from the alley, I snuck off to the grocery store for a chuck roast. I put it into the crock pot along with seasonings, and tried to play it cool. I knew we were planning to go to a movie this afternoon, and I sort of wanted to come back to the house smelling like dinner, and either have one or the both of us surprised (him for not knowing and me for maybe forgetting). Some boiled potatoes and carrots got dumped in once we returned, and I experimented with proportions of arrowroot and tapioca starch for gravy. As I sat down with a plate, I wished my grandmother a happy birthday aloud. Perhaps in three weeks when my great-grandmother's birthday rolls around, I'll make another grain-free chocolate cake, to give her some equal time.

It was the Harry Potter prequel that we went to see, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I never did read that book that was auxiliary to the main series, so it was all new to me. I'm fairly certain Mr X also had no idea what to expect. The story was fun. The main character interesting, but demonstrating some odd mannerisms. He spends a lot of time with his head turned and his eyes averted from whomever is addressing him. At first I wondered aloud whether it was intended to be a hero who lands somewhere on the autism spectrum, which would have been fine and a somewhat novel approach, although no one seemed to address it in the script. But now that I consider it, maybe it was because of his life's work dealing with animals (specifically magical creatures). Looking them in the eye and facing straight on might be interpreted as aggressive enough to get a guy like that killed. Is that in the book? I might have to go back and read it to see whether it's mentioned or an invention of Eddie Redmayne in his character development for the movie.

The most important question I have after seeing the movie: Does this mean that dressing in 1930s clothes will now be cool? Can it be? Please? I love those styles more than I can possibly express. Maybe I'll just put together a few pieces that I design myself, and wear that stuff anyway.

While I was helping dispose of yard waste, I caught the collection of birds who live in my spirea bush sunning themselves in a row on my back fence. I tried to be silent as I pulled out my phone, but the little beasts who bark in my back yard scared them all off. With patience, I was able to snap a couple of photos as they reassembled along the fence.



No comments:

Post a Comment