Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Cricketarium

Inspirational song: Carry That Weight (The Beatles)

Am I allowed to have a night where too much adult beverage consumption means too few words available to choose from? I only had one rum and coke, I swear. But it seems to have played havoc with my brain. I've been loopy for most of the last hour. And I didn't take any medications that should have had this cross reference activity. So tonight, my blog is a photo essay and not much else. It was the day we dug out all of the black beetles and meal worms from the lizard cage, and replaced the soil and moss with much better specimens. I even found a plant that I could separate from its mother and plop into the cage to compensate for the one the beetles killed over the summer. It was a challenge to capture the lizard, who evaded Mr X's hands and jumped right at my face while she had the chance. I'm too big a baby to touch a lizard with my hands, so Agnes was able to escape to the floor and under my bed. It took many tense minutes and much coordination to capture her in an empty salad container while her home was remodeled. But now it has been cleared of worms, washed, re-soiled, filled with live moss, planted, arranged, and covered in fresh crickets. Agnes is a happy anole. And I am probably not going to sleep for a week, with 51 small crickets performing a symphony in the dark next to my bed. Anything is better than the sound of the beetles crunching on the dead leaves of the plant they killed. And I would do anything to make my little lizard queen happy again.




















No comments:

Post a Comment