Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Either Way

Inspirational song: I Am the Walrus (The Beatles)

Ever have one of those days when you can't figure out exactly how you spent the last 12-16 hours, but you're pretty sure it went okay? I honestly don't know how I got to this point in the day. I think I might have rested. Pretty sure I played on the computer a little bit. I know I cleaned house some. And I know I listened to music. Beyond that, nope. Not much is standing out. It's possible that I'm missing out on something important I was supposed to do. It's possible that the important thing was to unwind and let myself relax a little bit. How about we go with that? I am feeling somewhat relaxed, if not actually tired. The best part is that my physical pain is minimal. That's always a welcome relief.

I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to gathering with the family for Thanksgiving more than I ever expected to. With everything that happened this year, I worried that I'd be on my own, feeling jealous of everyone posting happy things on Facebook and Twitter. But in a year of unexpected plot twists (and you haven't heard all of them, by far!), I am still invited to the in-laws, and I'm truly thankful for that. I promise I will behave and keep the peace, so that no one questions the wisdom of having me along. My sister and I might kick back an extra glass of wine, but it should all be okay.

You're not supposed to try new and unusual recipes to share at parties, but I couldn't help myself this year. We saw one of those videos that claims that pumpkin pie actually originated as a custard baked inside of a pie pumpkin. So at the last minute, I had Mr X acquire a carton of heavy cream, and away I went. We had four different pumpkins in the kitchen to choose from, and I found one that held about 5 cups of liquid. I pre-baked the shell, and after a quick trip to Oskar Blues for dinner, I came back and whisked up a custard that is baking inside of the pumpkin right now. This could be one of the coolest things ever, to grace my Thanksgiving table every year for the rest of my life. This could be a raging disaster, and end up a dog's dinner. I'm honestly excited to find out which way it goes.





No comments:

Post a Comment