Friday, November 18, 2016

Peace Cats

Inspirational song: Holiday In Cambodia (Dead Kennedys)

We've all seen it. Ever since we moms were allowed to sign up with Facebook accounts, there have been posts saying things like, "Sixteen years ago today, my life changed forever. I'm so proud of the young man/woman my baby is turning out to be." Hell, I've done that sort of thing several times myself. I even considered throwing out another one tomorrow, but I think I need to step up my game. My daughter about whom I was going to brag stepped up hers. She's a grown up now, older than I was when I had her and her sister. I got busy with work this week, and failed to plan ahead for her birthday tomorrow, so I texted her at noon today and asked her what she wanted as a present from me. At first, all she wanted was for me to make progress on the cookbook project she asked me to undertake, because she lives in a tiny apartment and doesn't need extra stuff crowding it up. Then she wrote back, with a much bigger request. She wanted me to make a specific donation in her name. I told her I would be happy to do it. And then I raised the stakes.

We here at Smith Park West are masters-level animal lovers. When the news came out of Syria this week that a cat sanctuary had been bombed, we were understandably upset. This is not to say we have not been watching in horror as human civilians have had their lives ruined or taken in the ongoing conflict. But like the children who are caught in the crossfire, the animals have no part in this war. They aren't responsible, and they can't plan an exit from the country to find safety. There is a man they call the cat man of Aleppo -- "Il Gattaro d'Aleppo." His name is Mohammed Alaa Aljaleel. He stayed behind in the city when he could have fled, to take care of hundreds of innocent cats, and a dog named Hope who was part of the colony. He did all he could to keep safe strays and dozens of pets who were abandoned by refugees who had to leave them behind. This sanctuary was internationally hailed as a place of peace, a haven for animals and a place where children of the city could escape the horrors of war and spend time with the cats. Now, twice this week, the sanctuary has been bombed. Multiple cats and the dog Hope have been killed. They have no choice but to move to a new location to try to keep everyone who remains safe. That is going to take money. This is where my daughter's request comes in.

There is a Facebook group dedicated to Il Gattaro d'Aleppo. It's a closed group, and you have to join to get information on how to donate to the sanctuary. It's run by an Italian woman, and as I write now, my request to join the group is pending. There is a page in English run by a member of the group called Cats of Aleppo that directs to the Italian group. As soon as I am allowed to join, I will be instructed to read the pinned post at the top, that details how to donate to the cause via PayPal. This is what my daughter asked of me, to donate in her name. My challenge now to you is to do the same. Donate if you can, in the name of Allie Reynolds. Do it for her. Do it for the cats. Do it for peace.

I hesitate to put direct links to the stories of the bombings. I saw one thumbnail picture of a dead cat, and it was too much for me. I have been told that the Twitter links do not hold back at all. If you look, be prepared. But you get to Google it for yourself. You have to really want to see it. I'm not going to do it for you. Me, I would rather look at my little Rabbit sleeping peacefully at my feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment