Friday, November 4, 2016

The Ones

Inspirational song: Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel ft. Kate Bush)

Way back in March, there was a big snowstorm. I had nowhere I could go in it, so I sat in my living room, watching snow pile up, waiting for new leads to appear on our brokerage website. It was one of the few days when I was actually enthusiastic about calling them. I must have sensed something in the air. I had two calls in a row turn into appointments that day. Later that week, once the roads had been plowed, I went up to a Starbucks about an hour away from here, and met my first new client that day. I could tell from the initial phone call that I was going to like her, and once we sat and chatted over coffee, my instinct was proven correct. I adored her. She was just getting started on her search, and it wasn't until over a month later that we toured our first house together. Over the summer she, her husband, her kids, and I saw many houses. A couple of them were almost right. We got very close to offering two or three times. Something always drew them back before we submitted offers though. As the months passed, I had other agents try to convince me that they weren't serious, and to move on. I refused. I believed in my clients, and I believed that our excellent working relationship was worth cultivating. A week ago we toured another house. Two days ago they said they were ready to work up an offer again. I asked if I could have the day in the mountains I'd planned, and I was told yes, Friday worked better for everyone anyway. I was exhausted last night after the hike and I was distracted by the ugly football game, but I put most of the offer together then, until my brain just turned into mush and I went and sat in the hot tub, promising myself I'd get up early to finish the whole thing. I made notes that I followed up on as soon as I rose. I let myself stress a bit (if you know me personally, you recognize the understatement), and I made a lot more calls, to the client, the other agent, and the HOA contact (who never contacted me back). I had it all ready to sign before I left for my appointment to get my snow tires put on at Costco (that I'd made weeks ago, so I couldn't miss it). I was a nervous wreck as I shopped, waiting for my pocket to buzz and tell me that the contract was signed. I made it all the way home and then called the clients and agent again. I don't know what it is about waiting for signatures, but it makes me lose all sense of how quickly time passes. I made sure I had agreement all around, and waited until nearly 8 this evening to submit the offer. And submit I did. It is in, and in the hands of the seller now. I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to know whether he liked it, countered it, or hated it so much he rejected it and us outright. I expect to land somewhere in that middle part, but we shall see.

Even if this house doesn't work out to be The One, I am so glad I persisted with this family. I'm not the type to give up on any relationship easily, once it is established, and these clients are no exceptions. I think they are really cool people, and I'm glad that so many of my "firsts" milestones have been with them so far. I don't know whether we'll remain close friends once the selling process is over, but I want it to happen more than anything. These are people I'd like to hang out with, professional success or not. I would feel comfortable inviting them to dinner at my own house. As much as I want to win at this game called real estate for them, I almost don't want the whole thing to end. It has been too much fun to quit now.





No comments:

Post a Comment