Thursday, November 10, 2016

Or We Could Love

Inspirational song: Lotta Love (Nicolette Larson)

I have avoided the television news for two days. I greatly limited my exposure to social media. Despite my best efforts, things kept getting through. Stories and photos and impassioned pleas for cooperation or resistance. I'm still afraid to look. There are reports of hateful incidents all across the country, even in elementary schools. Ugly feelings are being exposed, and it is terrifying. Half the people I know are trying to tell everyone to calm down and suck it up to get along. The other half are ready to organize the fight. I'm still hiding my head under a pillow.

I really don't know what to do that I don't already do. I try to send a positive message with my writing as often as I can. I accept my friends, family, and new acquaintances as they are. I crave diversity and revel in it when it surrounds me. I can promise to be a better ally. I can promise to keep studying, keep learning, keep sharing knowledge. I can love. That's it. I can love.

I'm frightened of the future, but I'm obligated to face it. I am not going to change who I am or who I love. I will support my country in all of its shapes, colors, and flavors. I'm going to be there for the people who need me and ask for my support. Will you be there for me too? I'm going to need you.


No comments:

Post a Comment