Thursday, February 23, 2017

Cheers

Inspirational song: Try to Love Again (The Eagles)

I was back out on the trail with another of my buyers tonight, trying to find the house that speaks to him. He and I must speak different house languages, because the one I wanted to turn my nose up at completely was the one he looked at and thought he could bring up to snuff. Of course, that place is ridiculously overpriced for the condition that it is in, so maybe he thinks he can strike a deal. That place needs to come down something like 10% to be where I think it should be, but we don't know that the seller realizes that yet. This guy definitely has more vision than some of the people I've met along the way. He said today about some basement finishing project that he was looking forward to most of it, just not the drywall-lifting part. I'll wait until the weekend before I know whether an offer is forthcoming. I don't know how to read the buyer's reaction to the overpriced place that reeked of smoke (two kinds). He did dryly comment how he didn't like those deep egress window wells out on the plains, as he pointed out one that was full of tumbleweeds, and what at first glance looked like a skull. (It turned out to be a half-deflated ball, but Mr Buyer said, "Is someone missing?")

I very nearly spent time, energy, and money to wash my car yesterday while the sun was shining, so that I wasn't driving this buyer all over northern Colorado in a dusty, dirty car. I am so glad I decided to skip that part. I woke this morning to a thin layer of white covering my back yard, and it kept snowing all day long. I really didn't believe that this was going to happen. February had been so unseasonably warm and dry, I had begun to worry that winter was over. Quite the opposite. In fact, several times today, on the way to Greeley and points north, and then on the return south, there was very nearly white-out conditions. I don't know that the high winds and blowing snow constituted a true blizzard by the books, but for the sake of driving in it, it might has well have been several times. The ground stayed warm until I made it back to town, and then the roads froze enough to send a few of the more squirrelly drivers fishtailing in front of me. I had every intention of staying in once I got home, putting on jammies, and decompressing for the night. Instead, I turned around and headed back out.

Tonight was a "Unity in the Community" meeting hosted by the Chamber of Commerce. I had been invited to go, and then I thought I wouldn't be back from this afternoon's house tour in time, so I didn't even register for it. When we found out that one of the US senators was rumored to be attending, the Mr and I decided maybe we could pop in for a few minutes after all. This particular senator has refused to attend town halls or even acknowledge that the deluge of phone calls he is getting from his constituents are actually from us. The day after Mr X called to register his opinion, from his cell phone that still has the same number from a duty station twelve years ago, Senator Gardner stated publicly that he is being bothered by calls from people who live out of state, not even his own constituents. People here in the northern quadrant of the state held what they called a Town Hall With(out) Cory Gardner this week. Alas, the rumors did not pan out, and there was only a staffer from the senator's office in attendance, but that didn't stop the Mr from having a conversation with him.

Confrontations aside, it was actually a rather enjoyable event. It was absolutely a crush in the convention center. Barely room to move around the largest ballroom they had. I ran into dozens of people I knew. In fact, as we left, Mr X asked whether I would use the theme from Cheers as my song tonight, because I wasn't able to go five minutes at a time without running into someone I knew by name, almost entirely from Rotary. It was quite wonderful, actually. It made my new home town feel cozy and familiar. I didn't pick up a whole lot of swag from the tables, just a couple pieces of literature from people I spoke with, a couple of pens that I almost immediately lost, and a rainbow flag that I'll put up somewhere around the house until I can go be an ally at Pride and wave it there. The main thing I got from the event was a sense of community, and that is better than a note pad any day.







No comments:

Post a Comment