Sunday, April 23, 2017

Antiquated Notions

Inspirational song: She Blinded Me With Science (Thomas Dolby)

I know, I should have marched. I am, after all, a big old science nerd who begat a very vocal science nerd. I probably could have come up with a really clever sign. But I had things I had to do today, and I wasn't about to alter my schedule for some of them. I finally got around to shuffling the commission money around in my bank account (changing the kind of savings account I have, so that it accumulates more than an insult's worth of interest -- it now almost counts as a pittance!), and I tried a third time to pick up the new prescription from the gastroenterologist (and failed -- their supplier keeps refusing to send it, and I have no idea why.) These things could have been shuffled a little, but the massage I had today was not to be moved. Not a chance.

I went in to see Slow Hand with a very simple request. I just needed to chill out and relax. I didn't have deep muscle aches to burn up our entire appointment. I told him that I wanted work done on the places most prone to edema, from the elbows down and the knees down. A few minutes in, he proclaimed that we were going to focus entirely on my lymphatic system, on waking it up and draining it. It was one of the greatest things to happen to me lately. There was very little pressure, but my whole body ended up feeling electrified. Slow Hand suggested that I take notes over the 48 hours following this particular bodywork, to see whether things improve or deteriorate. I told him I was always up for a science experiment. So far, I feel languid and much less tender, although my limbs are all super heavy, like they're tired. The best part: within a few hours, my wrists and hands were visibly less swollen, and I am starting to feel a little bit more like myself. I hope this continues to work through my system over the next two days.

We made it back to the berry patch that was closed when we arrived yesterday. Today it was much warmer and sunnier, although once we got out to dig up our own fruit canes, we realized that we hadn't brought any pots or buckets or even plastic bags to put them in. I produced the only thing I could find in my car: reusable grocery bags. We made it work. We learned more about the botanical peculiarities of raspberries from the farmer who was selling off his plants. He had primacane and floricane berries, and he asked a group of us if we knew what that meant. The primacane berries will fruit during the first season on each cane, and those canes need to be cut down at the end of the season. The floricane berries grow the first year and produce the second year, and THEN the canes have to be cut down. I think. There are pests that will take up residence in the old canes, so they can't be left alone for long. If I had known there was going to be a test (played out over two years), I would have taken notes.

Whatever pests may be growing in the yard, the Man found a wonderful way to address them. He came back from visiting our local Helpful Hardware Man with a bag of live ladybugs. I feel like I've just become a mother again a hundred times over. I was so excited to see that purchase. I hope the little guys understand how welcome they are, and how much I want them to stay and thrive and start families in my Park. Last year, all of my tomato plants were covered in aphids. The ladybugs are going to be good friends of mine.











No comments:

Post a Comment