Sunday, April 16, 2017

Jiggety Jig

Inspirational song: Tear in My Heart (21 Pilots)

We made it. We made it all the way back to the house, and I'm back in my favorite chair. So far, everyone and everything seems to have survived in our absence, but to be fair, the dogs are still at their super-fabulous camp until morning. My ears are still ringing loudly from the road noise and airplane noise, and I expect that will go on for hours yet. I've already gotten huffy at Alfred twice, and we haven't been here more than ten minutes. He ran out into the garage while the door was open to the street, causing me panic, and apparently he has been passing the time while he waited for me to trim his nails by being naughty on the Chinese rug.

I feel like tonight should be all the pieces left over from the trip, all the things we thought of but I failed to say. I'm not sure how well they will translate. On the way out to the airport on Thursday morning, while we were goofy and giddy at 4am, we giggled over all kinds of jokes, like pretending we would be brazen to cops who pulled us over in our imagination. At the time, we thought it was hilarious, and I thought perhaps I'd make a running list of the things we came up with. As soon as I started doing it, I ran out of energy and inspiration to do so. I'm glad now that I didn't. None of those things are ever as funny as the moment they happen. Inside jokes lose their flavor almost immediately. Only one thing still feels amusing to me after time to reflect on the trip home. We had to drive into the town of Eufaula Friday morning, looking for a post office from which we could mail in our taxes. Younger child was navigating from the back seat, and she kept giving conflicting directions on the names of the streets and whether we should turn left or right, north or south. Eventually we found what we needed, and while we sat in the car, it was revealed why her navigation was so sketchy. She was using a Pokemon Go map to send us around town. I know those things are detailed down to walking trails, but this is the first time I've been given driving directions from one.

We had brunch with the wedding party before leaving town this morning. After watching the newlyweds open presents and read cards, we all walked a couple of blocks up the street and saw another one of those "trees that own themselves," and admired some of the 100-150+ year old mansions. I'm not looking to retire down in that part of the country, but I see the draw for those people who have chosen to do so. It was a beautiful town. I'm glad we all went, and for the best reason of all, to watch our family expand.





















No comments:

Post a Comment