Friday, April 21, 2017

Black and Whitebellies

Inspirational song: Black Water (Doobie Brothers)

I turned off the heat in my house yesterday. For some of you who live outside of Colorado, this may seem unusually late in the year. Turns out, it was a tad bit premature. My house has been wonderfully chilly today, while it was gloomy and rainy outside. I wore a big, thick sweatshirt all day, and I never once lacked for feline cuddle buddies. In fact, I was quite the popular girl. Rabbit and Alfred have been glued to me for most of the day. It was cool enough inside that Rabbit didn't even growl at Alfred once, but rather purred while he climbed between us, adding to the body heat quotient.

I had plans for the day. We intended on going to a nearby farm to dig up blackberry plants. An organic farm in Boulder County has decided to reduce their potential for berries, and is selling dig-your-own blackberries and several types of raspberries. I'm pretty set for raspberries already here, with sixteen feet of red ones growing on the west fence, and a six foot patch of golden ones in the north raised bed garden. Also, there are some survivors on the south side where the original cluster of them was when we bought this house. But blackberries have always been one of my favorite fruits, so naturally I was interested when I learned that they were selling clumps of plants for ten bucks each. We loaded up a shovel (in case we needed it) and gloves and started heading out of town, when I dug up the original posting for information on it. It was then that I learned they didn't open until noon, so we turned around and made plans to go back once the Mr was back from work. He got back a little later than we expected, but we still made it to the farm before the posted closing time. Problem was, it was cold and rainy and they closed early, thinking no one would be foolish enough to try to dig in the rain. Obviously, they've never met us. So we have to punt until tomorrow afternoon, and hope that they are open as advertised. Mama needs her blackberries. It has been too long since I had productive ones of my own. I just hope I can find a place to put them. I know how big the patches can get. The one next to our house in Germany when I was little was about as big as a garage (or so it felt to six year old me).

We didn't waste the drive, once we had gone that far, even though the gardening expedition was a bust. From there, we were already halfway to Costco, and we were due another major restocking trip. (This many cats means buying food and litter in bulk, and we get our dairy products in ludicrous quantities as well -- we buy half and half a gallon at a time, and the fancy butter six bars at once.) While there, I grabbed another pack of the ultra soft black leggings. These are basically my uniform until I get the monkeyshines that are causing problems in my belly identified and eliminated. Is it normal for one woman to have six pair of the exact same "pants?" (I realize there is debate as to whether leggings count as pants. The people who say no obviously have never had stomach troubles.)









No comments:

Post a Comment