Friday, April 14, 2017

Once More from the Top

Inspirational song: Genghis Khan (Miike Snow)

Typing is going to be challenging as hell tonight. There was a whole lot to think about and write about, but when one ends the day with as many glasses of wine as have cycled through my face in the last five hours, coherent sentences are not going to magically appear. If you can follow my "logic" even vaguely, then be proud of me. All I want to accomplish right now is to vomit up a few words to describe my day, and then maybe sneak down to the end of the hotel where the stray kittens live before I go to sleep. Mr X bought a bag of cheap cat food to offer as a sacrifice (or more specifically, a "snackrifice," as our daughter called it). He left to go give them some while I blogged. I'm on the clock now if I want to watch.

We are having a great time in Alabama so far. We haven't gone very far, but where we are now is interesting. I'm hearing that the guy who wrote the songs for Atlanta Rhythm Section composed a lot of his work while camping out here. Around the fire (with glasses #3 and 4 of wine) I was told that Katie Couric's family home was a couple of doors down from the bed and breakfast where we held the rehearsal and dinner. And we learned that somewhere in town is another one of those "tree that owns itself," like the one that circulated around the internet in the last few days. There are a lot of incredibly interesting old houses in this town, with the tallest windows I have ever seen. Most of these places were built before there was air conditioning, so they had rooms with ten or twelve foot ceilings, both up and down stairs. These are the tallest residential houses I have ever seen, and there are dozens of them like this. The windows are at least eight feet tall. The houses themselves, maybe forty feet high? It's quite striking. I need to go more slowly around town and get more pictures. There were straight-line winds that came through several weeks ago that were as strong as a tornado, and a big one at that. Roofs were blown off into trees, trees were knocked over all around town. There's evidence of a lot of damage everywhere you look still.

We practiced the order of the ceremony twice through. The first time, I stood in for a missing bridesmaid. The second time, I was back where I will be tomorrow, as the person who cues each of the wedding party to start down the aisle, and who cues the DJ to play the correct processional tunes. I'm trying not to get worked up about it, but I'm afraid I might have just a little bit tonight. This is why there's a rehearsal, so we can be weird and awkward when it doesn't matter. Tomorrow, no one will think twice about what goes into the timing of the ceremony. They'll just watch everyone do their thing like they were born knowing how to pull off a wedding.

Okay, yeah. I hit a wall. If there was more story to tell, I ceased being able to do it. I'll just post pictures and hope that I make it to writing time with a wee bit more sobriety than tonight. Fingers crossed, y'all.












No comments:

Post a Comment