Monday, April 3, 2017

Making It Permanent

Inspirational song: The Final Countdown (Europe)

I'm running out of time on this dress. I have to work on it every day between now and the weekend, until it is entirely done. The wedding isn't for another twelve days, but I have to surrender it in five so that the bride can take it with her to the location of the wedding. Friday it felt like I was ridiculously behind schedule. But between Saturday and Sunday I finished attaching the lace to the bodice by hand, and then this morning I basted the bodice and skirt together, ready for the bride to try it on for size. She came to see my progress this evening, and the good news is, the dress fits. There are still adjustments to be made, but seeing her in it was startling. I think she had the same reaction, because at one point she stood kind of still and said, "I'm in a wedding dress." Once she left, I went around the basted seam with a more durable stitch, and later I'll trim the rough edges and seal it up in the lining.

We still have to decide what shoes she will wear. I offered her some silver kitten heels I had, but as she stood still, waiting for me to pin a rough hem all the way around her, her feet started to get sore. She's debating wearing flats or sandals instead. I told her she could wear whatever she wants, and choosing footwear that won't cause pain will reduce her stress on the day overall. I'm not sure that at that age I could have given the same advice to myself in that situation, but I've learned and grown along the way, and feel totally qualified to suggest with authority that there is no need to make yourself uncomfortable on one of the biggest days of your life. All I care about is her deciding which shoes before I make the hem permanent.

I feel chagrined by what I said about the skinny mama cat waiting to give birth on the video stream. I shouldn't have bragged that she wouldn't play games like that giraffe. And here it is two days later, and neither one has progressed one visible iota toward pushing out any babies. All I can do is sigh over my boastfulness, settle a video device on my outstretched legs, and wait. Mostly I wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment