Thursday, October 20, 2016

Mine Now

Inspirational song: Over at the Frankenstein Place (Rocky Horror Picture Show)

Step by step, inch by inch, I'm reclaiming my space. I needed some extra hands to make a big difference in the basement, and I got the assistance today. We turned my guest room back into an actual guest room, oddly enough, just in time to have guests next week! It was only three quarters finished when I had a renter move into it. I couldn't finish decorating it while it technically wasn't mine to control. But tonight it's freshened up, dusted, and straightened. Over the next few days or weeks I can turn my attention to the walls that are still bare. I used to put up an "ancestor wall" in all of my houses at each assignment around the country, and this room is the right place to put one. I think it's time to sort through my family photographs, to see what's appropriate to put up this time around. Before, I had to pick and choose, because I just had one or two walls to use, while other family members inhabited all the "spare" rooms. Now I can dig out all of them and spread them out all over the place, starting here.

I'd like to believe that I can get this house completely moved into by the end of this year. It's gone on longer than most people take to get into their places, but this has been an exceptional time for me. I have finally learned not to overtax myself, rushing to complete any project, especially one with such a long deadline. I'm planning on being in this house for the rest of my life. It's important for me that it feels like a home, because it's the last one I ever plan to have. I was very glad to have assistance reclaiming it this afternoon. We made great strides putting back to rights, and it feels much more like my own again. It was worth expending extra energy to flip it back to space I recognize.

To cap off the evening, we checked out the new remake of Rocky Horror on television. There are a few sacred works of art that are dangerous to reinvent. This could have turned out poorly. I am pleased to say our first reaction was quite positive. The casting was generally good, the costumes and sets were fantastic, and the interpretation of the songs came off pretty well. There were a few that I had a hard time hearing in their updated versions, but that might just have been me being too tied to the originals. In an odd synchronicity, a friend who forgot this remake was airing tonight asked me to go with her to see the original next week. I might go, if I have the energy. I might even dress up, but I can't decide whether to go old school or new. I have a week to decide.



No comments:

Post a Comment