Sunday, October 2, 2016

Opening

Inspirational song: So What (Cabaret)

I'm feeling the sting of distance tonight. I reconnected with several old friends this evening, and I find myself wishing I was a bit more mobile. One of my distant companions was supposed to be up here to visit this month, but now it looks like it's a long shot that he can make it at all. I'm very disappointed. I've been waiting months to talk to him, wanting to share everything that has gone wrong in 2016 in person, rather than texting my series of unfortunate events. Instead we talked for an hour or so tonight, and now I wish I had reached out to him before, so I had his support all along. He could use a shoulder to lean on as well. Lesson learned. We are there for each other now.

I went to the theatre in downtown Denver with my season-ticket-holding BFF again. This time we went to see Cabaret. I was excited to see how this production compared to the one I'd seen in the tiny community theater last spring, and how it compared to the movie from the 1970s. I've seen the movie many times. I didn't know until we were seated in the Buell that my BFF had never seen the whole thing. And it didn't occur to me to prepare her for the ending. The subject of the early years of Nazi Germany and the persecution of the Jews was a lot for her to handle. She had fun right up until the last five or ten minutes of the show. She left feeling very vulnerable and contemplative. I wish I had warned her.

I dressed up for the show today. I wish I had taken some good selfies, but I was more interested in going out, seeing and being seen in person. By the time my day was done, my feet were used up by wearing knee boots with modest heels (yes, I'm a wimp with heels), and I didn't feel like whipping out a camera and smiling. I got a few pictures along the way, but nothing pointed my way. Soon, I promise, I will be aiming the camera back at me. Or letting other people do it. I'm coming out of the shadows.





No comments:

Post a Comment