Thursday, March 9, 2017

Hurdles Cleared

Inspirational song: Breathe (Johnny Diaz)

When I got home an hour ago, I just had one question: What wine goes with (chickpea-based) mac and cheese?

I am utterly wiped out. I have been doing way too much and not giving myself sufficient breaks to slow down and breathe. My main goal for the last month has been to survive through this evening, and then I could have a few minutes to take stock of my life and regroup. I'm not quite as clear as I thought I would be at this point, but I am NOT complaining. This is good busy, not bad busy. At least my clients who just went under contract have been with me long enough that I am able to admit to the wife that I'm overwhelmed, and she texted me to night to relax and breathe. She understands, and I love her for it. And now that some of the most stressful variables have been weeded out, I can focus on her entirely, which is a bonus.

I had a sales meeting this morning, and it ran almost an hour long. We had much to discuss, particularly with the competing MLS system out of Denver throwing a huge spanner in the works of Northern Colorado agents. The Denver MLS attempted what I can only imagine was a hostile takeover of the NCO MLS, and their offer to purchase was politely but firmly refused. So now the Denver system has ended data sharing, and we agents who work in the overlapping areas of the venn diagram are faced with the choice of subscribing to both systems or having our businesses be inadequate. It seemed like a simple choice on its surface, but the more we picked it apart, the more complex the whole situation became. I'll most likely end up subscribing to both, but that doesn't mean I like having my hand forced.

I raced home from Fort Collins, and threw myself into packing up the tablescape so I could set it up at the country club. We had to have it completed by 3 this afternoon, and I wasn't sure I was going to succeed. I grabbed my friend who was my plus-one for the event, and we threw the table together as quickly as we could. I needn't have panicked. Even with an hour and a half late start, we finished by 2:30, and we had plenty of time to go home and change before the event started. I tell you, some of these tables were incredibly creative. I have no -- and I mean ZERO -- space to bring home an elaborate new table setting, but some of them were so cool, I went ahead and purchased $10 worth of additional tickets to drop in the raffle boxes of the ones I liked. The settings that had the most entries were eligible for prizes, like a huge Kitchen Aid stand mixer, some really nice enamel bakeware, and what not. My tablescape got a respectable number of drawings (and my homemade table garnered a whole lot of attention), but I am not in the running for the additional prizes. And I also did not win any new dishes. The Mr is quite happy about that.

Best new thing of the night: I met the owners of the wine bar near one of my favorite parks, where I have been wanting to go for dinner and drinks for months. They are a super neat couple, and within seconds we had arranged to have a Rotary social at their establishment. This means that I feel obligated to go check it out over the weekend, right? (I told the Man this, and his exact response was, "Oh, darn.")











No comments:

Post a Comment