Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Work Hard, Play Hard

Inspirational song: I've Got a Golden Ticket (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)

I always preferred the advice given to football players who make touchdowns that they should "act like they've been there before" when crossing into the end zone. I am going to attempt to follow that very same advice, up until the moment I walk OUT of the closing office for the first time. Then I am going to freak the F out, and probably giggle like a fat, happy toddler all the way home. I am in the position I have been in several times before. I have a contract. I have a big, beautiful contract with the family I have come to adore after working with them for almost a year. We had to work harder than we expected to get here, but now that we have won the three-way race, we're all pretty excited. But I have been here before. I have had this award nomination multiple times. I tell you, if I Susan Lucci this one, I may have to go on a long vacation and maybe not come back. I might have to tie my buyers into the chairs at the closing table, and tell them they may not stand back up again until there are signatures on every relevant page. Whatever it takes, I have got to make this work. I'm tired of feeling like a punchline.

My tablescape is just about as done as it is going to be. I pulled one item out of it, because it just didn't fit the arrangement. On a bigger table, it probably would have worked. But there wasn't room for the clear glass pitcher on my small rustic table. I'm sure I can find a use for it around here. I will only display two settings, and have the rest stored underneath for the winning ticket holder. I ended up needing to run to the Big Evil for thread (closest source of it in this town), and while there, I bought some super cheap silk "magnolia" blooms. They look cheaper than the ones I had before, but I'm kind of over it. I still want to type up a description to place on the table, but for now, I think I'm done. After tomorrow, I can move on to new projects.

I totally ran out of steam this evening. I had been running on adrenaline for so long, and once I got the contract and finished the donation, I was ready to crash. But I needed to eat, and I didn't want to cook. I suggested that we go to that same new entertainment complex that I toured yesterday. They have a March promotion where you buy a special mug and then get refills of beer for $3 all month, and I figured the Mr would like that. For me, I wanted some sort of relaxing beverage too, but I didn't want to go to a brewery where my choices were limited or nil. Once I had a sangria in my hand and a cobb salad in front of me, I was able to relax and coast a little bit. I intend to spend time in this establishment now that I know what it offers. I suspect a lot of that time will be in the bowling alley, watching sports on 22 foot television screens. But for now, just sitting at the bar was quite enough. Play softly now. Play harder later.











No comments:

Post a Comment