Friday, March 17, 2017

Luck Versus Skill

Inspirational song: Lucky (Fish)

I'm terrified that I'm starting to feel lucky. Like suddenly things are starting to work out for me. I'd honestly rather not rely on luck. I haven't had a good relationship with it in the past. Yet, here I am, feeling like things are falling into place. We got our inspection resolution today, and the few things we asked for were greeted with acceptance. We really only wanted a few things cleaned, and a building permit supplied. If I were the sellers, I would have thought, "That's it? That's all they want?" and I would have considered myself lucky in that respect, no matter how hard I worked to prepare the house for sale. As the agent with a terrible run of luck for contracts not surviving home inspections, I keep having to pinch myself to be sure I'm not dreaming that I am finally past that roadblock. This is how it should have been all along.

It was another glorious day at the Park, and yet the most time I spent outside was ferrying lunch items back and forth to the neighbor's house, where we watched several basketball games (mostly concurrently). We had some traditional St Patrick's day foods (according to American traditions), and a few adult libations. I had been too wrapped up in my own head to keep watching basketball over the last couple months, once my team demonstrated how badly they were struggling this year. It was nice to watch games in which I really had no dog in the fight, so that I could just watch for cool plays. My neighbor had complained that there were no seriously exciting games yet, no buzzer-beaters. Yet last night we had seen a close 8-9 matchup that kept us guessing until the last few minutes, and while we were next door, there was a very exciting finish that came down to a team failing to sink the basket in the last second of the game. (That was USC beating SMU, an 11 seed beating a 6, for those of you who care.)

I filled out three brackets online, all of which were different. All three were total wild-ass guesses. Yet as it stands tonight, on all three I got exactly 21 right out of 32. Different upsets, different easy wins. I can still get a lot of points on each one, because most of the teams I have picked to go on to the next rounds are still in it. All of the ones I chose for the Final Four are still playing. But I would have to be remarkably lucky to be a challenger for the grand prize in these brackets, which is a trip to view the Final Four next year either at the event itself in San Antonio, or in Las Vegas. It isn't in the cards for me, and that's okay. I'm just enjoying watching how my guesses pan out.


No comments:

Post a Comment