Friday, March 24, 2017

Out?

Inspirational song: The Year of the Cat (Al Stewart)

Everyone who has feline roommates knows exactly what *that* meow sounds like, and what it means. Out? (Which sounds more like "aaooouuutt?") We humans have adopted it for our own needs, and it comes in handy so many times. Last night, while we were at the entertainment complex, the man said to me that he needed to go to Colorado Springs on an errand for that Jeep place where he has been working in one capacity or another on and off for a long time. He trailed off as he said, "I thought maybe you wanted a..." and in the pause, I meowed, "Aaaoouut?" It wasn't intended to be a vacation, or even much of a chance to play tourist. It was seriously just a long car ride, and he wanted to use my fuel-efficient tiny little car, and he offered me a chance to go for a change of scenery. Of course I jumped on it (and no, I'm not offended that he did have ulterior motives with the MPGs).

We had heard about a big change in the weather blowing in last night. Felt it, even. But I had expressed doubt that there was any snow in the system. For us in the north, I was correct. By the time we reached Castle Rock on the drive, I found the snow. It was a narrow band, focused almost completely on the Palmer divide and a few miles north of that. It looks like it was pretty significant around Monument. When we stopped for coffee, we steered so that we followed the snowplow across the mounds of slush taller than my headlights on the bridge to the Starbucks. The piles of plowed snow in the parking lot were higher than my face as I at in the car. And then by the time we reached the Air Force Academy on the north side of the Springs, the snow was mostly gone. At the coffee stop, I was questioning my choice of only a few thin layers of clothes, all t-shirt weight top and bottom (long sleeves, light hoodie, and leggings). By lunch I was fine. Weather in Colorado. Never boring.

The trip used up all of my energy. I got back at four, and have sat in front of politics on the television, playing with felines, ever since. Apparently it is a great sin for a kitty mommy not to be home for seven hours. I have paid the price for my negligence. Tonight will probably be the same as the last several, with me sweltering under the three who glue themselves to my sides and head all night long. Not sure I will be interested in going back to the Springs tomorrow... to exchange the part that the southern Jeep store sold to the man. Turns out that long drive was for nothing. They gave him the wrong piece.








No comments:

Post a Comment