Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Civic Engagement

Inspirational song: We Built This City (Jefferson Starship)

It might have been the fumes talking. But tonight, as I drove back through the southwest side of my town, super tired from painting the condo, and really more loopy than I ought to have been for driving on the highway and through the busy retail thoroughfare of town, I felt an overwhelming sense of rightness about my new hometown. I've had this reaction before, but today felt extra special. I felt powerful about it. That was new.

I have old friends from college who have cycled through this town. Some liked it, some still curse and spit when the name is mentioned. It all depends on what you make of a place, how you perceive it. I've lived in places where the town elders are referred to by names like "the Shifty Fifty." I've lived in sprawling tri-county metropolises where it's easy to get lost in the crowd. I've lived in towns that span two states, separated by a river, and separated from the air force base by a "townies vs basers" attitude. Here, I feel like I am taking a direct route to being part of the In Crowd, and I feel no shame or remorse over that. I'm doing this on purpose. And when I drove into town tonight, tired and not fully in my own mind from cleaning chemicals, I thought, "I'm gonna own this town." I don't mean that in a financial sort of way, and I know that I'm never going to have the sort of energy again to run for mayor or anything so far above my health abilities. But I am going to wear this city like a bespoke suit. It fits me and I'm going to make it look Gooooood.

I didn't intend to be noticed at Rotary today. I did my hair a little extra special, by washing it last night and sleeping in French braids, so that when I took it down right before the meeting, I'd look like a mermaid who crawled straight out of an ocean wave. I dressed in just a plain blue Target t-shirt and jeans, and for make up I wore sunscreen and eye liner. I brought bulky things to give to people, as I was directed to do, but forgot a pad of paper to write on because it was my first real turn at being the editarian. And then I was asked to speak to the crowd. The last time I did this was over the winter, when I shakily gave my vocational talk, reading from a prepared speech, hating talking about myself. Today, the president of the club asked me to make the pitch for volunteers for the Palisade peach sales this weekend. I had only about 15 minutes to think about what I would say, and I just ended up improvising on the fly. I was much less nervous, although I forgot to give the prices for the peaches. My main concern was getting someone -- anyone! -- to help volunteer to sell them with us. At least my voice didn't shake or go into the higher registers.

This evening, right as I got home, I got a second call from a woman who is running for Boulder County Commissioner. She called the first time while I was driving back through downtown Denver after Frozen, and I said please call when I'm not terrified I'm gonna wreck. She did, and we had a very pleasant chat. She wanted to know what my concerns were, and since I am on the central committee who votes to advance candidates to the ballot, I got a serious phone call from her. I told her that I've just gotten into real estate, and I wondered whether she had a policy position on that, particularly from the standpoint of development or affordability, and she was able to give me a thoughtful, broad AND deep answer that covered a fifteen minute conversation. I was very impressed, and I assured her that I would indeed make a point of going to the Truman dinner to meet her. This all happened within 10 minutes of me thinking to myself, I am going to be involved locally, with business, politics, and civic participation. I'll be damned if the Universe didn't take me seriously!


No comments:

Post a Comment