Thursday, August 3, 2017

Drama Mama

Inspirational song: Cool (West Side Story)

It shouldn't have been so hard, but it was inevitable that it would be. I have too much skin in this game, and I have been freaking out over every detail. My job is to be the one who keeps everyone calm, by acting like I've been in the endzone before. But here I am, working a deal too close to my heart, so I'm stressing every point. I saw the boss this morning, for our monthly sales meeting, and he nodded knowingly when I told him I was having drama. He promised that it was more common than I was giving myself credit for. Doesn't give me any fewer gray hairs knowing that though.

The drama is starting to cool off, as of this afternoon. The miscellaneous paperwork and bank documentation that we all had to contribute is either done or nearly so. The last disclosure that the seller needed to provide is done (after an agonizing wait). Then, the final piece (for this week) fell into place. The appraisal met. We have ten more days, I think. Just ten more to complete the final tasks, and very few of them are under my influence from here on out. All I can do is try to keep cool and not release my grip on the football until I'm over the line.

I parked on the street not far from Old Town Square, when I went up to my sales meeting. I happened to park in front of a store that called my name. It appeared from the street to be just a narrow storefront that catered to people who like to put cute stuff in their gardens (to a much greater degree than I). After the meeting, I popped in for just a few minutes. I discovered a store very much like the place I worked in New Mexico, while I was finishing up my masters degree, that was a little mom and pop gift shop and plant nursery. Like that store in NM, this one went on forever, opening up into rooms that I didn't expect. The only things missing were the rows of perfectly-managed flowers, and dozens of feral cats. Otherwise, it was eerily similar. I managed to restrain myself, and not buy a whole bunch of wind chimes or garden gnomes, but I am itching to go back and buy a blackbird statue. Maybe after I've been paid for the two deals that will be done this month, I'll feel okay with spending 90 bucks on a carving to stick outside in the dirt. Until then, I'll be happy with the garden I have.




No comments:

Post a Comment