Sunday, August 27, 2017

Winter

Inspirational song: For the First Time in Forever (Frozen)

I don't know whether this is a common thing or not. Disney is putting together a Broadway version of Frozen, in the style of Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. Before it debuts on Broadway, it is in the Buell Theater at the Denver Center for Performing Arts, working out all the kinks. Are we a typical stop on the "test it in the Heartland" stage circuit? I haven't been living back in Colorado long enough to know how rare this is.

This was the last ticket in my BFF's last season package. She decided not to re-up this year, because her daughter stopped being her steady date, and it was an awful lot of money to risk not being able to find a girlfriend willing to buy one or both tickets off of her when kid didn't want to go anymore. I have deeply loved being her frequent date on Sunday afternoons, when there was a show in the package that we both wanted to see. Next year's docket doesn't appeal to either of us enough to push for the tickets, and I suggested to her that if the year after that is back on track with shows we are interested in seeing, maybe we can split the cost of a pair of season tickets, and shell out enough to move closer to the stage. The tickets she had were the absolute best she could do in that price range: two dead center seats, on the front row of that price tier. If we do it in future years, by splitting the cost, I think we can afford to move closer. We were just far enough back that the eye strain when the stage is dark but for a single spot on a soloist makes my eyes blur and tear, and I start to nod off even during critical plot points in the shows.

We thought maybe the production would be too childlike for us, but much as we liked the Lion King (particularly the costumes, vocal performances, and NEAT animal effects), this was very entertaining, and as they love to say about Broadway shows, "fun for the whole family." The casting was good, and they had wonderfully strong female singers, for adults and the child versions of Anna and Elsa. Grown up Elsa was particularly good, and she had to be, to compete with everyone's familiarity with Idina Menzel (or Adele Dazeem, depending on your sense of humor). The way they portrayed Olaf the snowman was charming, and the actor in the Sven costume must have been an absolute beast to be strong enough to do what was required to run and dance in a cool reindeer suit. The snow and ice effects were perfect, and they made me ready to settle in under a blanket while a storm rages outside. Come on already, winter!

While we watched the Game of Thrones season finale with our neighbor buddies, I kept tempting them with kitten pictures. I really want the girlfriend to take one of the Uninvited Guest Kittens (the ones in California), and she really wants to also. Even her boyfriend, our neighbor, says YES, get a kitten! As I showed her pictures and talked about how wonderful they are, we came to some conclusions. She really, really, really wants Lida Rose, the calico I thought I would take. And the more I see pictures of Richard Hell, the solid white one, the more I want him instead. So if Lida comes out here, to be neighbor girlfriend's cat, I still get to see her grow up, and I get to cuddle her and make sure she has the best possible home. But I also would get to raise a solid white cat, whose face melts my frozen heart, every time I look at him. I think he would be so irresistible to Rabbit, who is an excellent nanny cat, that she would love on him too. Problem is, even though I came up with the foster name of Richard Hell, that's not the name I want to give him permanently. If I'm going to have an all-white junior rabbit, there are only two possible names for him in my mind. If I want to avoid triggering anyone's PTSD from the storm this week, I will name him Elwood P. Dowd. Otherwise, this baby pooka will be my Harvey.






No comments:

Post a Comment