Monday, August 28, 2017

Web Work

Inspirational song: Code Monkey (Jonathan Coulton)

Oh, right. I can't just close up the laptop and vegetate yet. I've been staring at this thing most of the afternoon, and I am not allowed to walk away yet. I haven't been able to devote the time required to put out the weekly newsletter for Rotary for nearly three weeks now, and I had to stop myself from wandering off from it at least 30 times since noon. I've been so scattered, and every time I walk across the house, I keep hitting that "oh, while I'm in this room, I'll do this" impulse. While typing in the newsletter, I literally kept flinching as I remembered tasks I wanted to start, but would not allow myself to do until at least one newsletter was sent out, preferably two. I had to call it at quarter of eleven, when I realized two thirds of the way through the second issue that I had a story about a new guy (and accompanying photo) and I couldn't remember his last name. I paged through the whole members list, and it didn't help. At least I got one out, and I'll be able to email the second tomorrow, as soon as I find someone to give me this dude's last name.

The program that we use to build the Rotoreador is unfamiliar to me. I've never been one to spend lots of time programming, well, anything. This blog is on a platform that is as simple as can be, and I really don't dig in the weeds to make it fancy or elaborate. I don't necessarily need to know much about html to put out the newsletter, but it's significantly more advanced than Blogger, which is as user friendly as writing an email for the work I do. Each section on the Rotoreador is its own linkable story, I have to resize each photo by typing in the height and width rather than clicking "x-large," and I have to click "save and publish" twice or more on each updated section, waiting for it to refresh and reopen in between each save. It took me over an hour to put out the first one this afternoon, after which I took a break to make dinner and clean my room. I did as much as I could on the second until a few minutes ago when I gave up trying to remember that guy's name. Tomorrow I can investigate what happened to August 22nd's notes, which I swear I had received several days ago.

I couldn't sleep at all Saturday night/Sunday morning, even though when I got home I blogged about how tired I was from driving home from the mountains. I tossed and turned until 1 am, woke again about 3:30 and walked around a few minutes, and then when I woke a final time at 5:30, I gave up and stayed awake. I had so much on my mind about all the millions of demands on my time and energy, that I grabbed a notebook and a pen, and in the soft glow of the night settings of my iPad (I didn't want more light than that), I started writing a list of everything I knew I needed to accomplish this upcoming week. It ranged from nitnoid tasks like "refill pill holder" and "take out trash, recycling, and compost," to giant pressing missions like "list and rent condo." I have only scratched out 5 things since yesterday morning (the pill holder thing, "wash sheets," "order new washer/dryer," "go see Frozen with [BFF]," and "Watch Game of Thrones season finale."). That makes me 13.9% done, of the stuff I've identified so far. I need an assistant, I swear. And a housekeeper. And a gardener. And a whole lot of other support staff. Oddly, no one seems to be rushing in to do all of that for no salary.


No comments:

Post a Comment