Monday, August 14, 2017

Go Home

Inspirational song: Our House (Madness)

I am so not surprised I fell asleep in my chair just now. I have been burning the candle at both ends, and by now I've set fire to the middle of the candle too. I still have a good week to go before I'm close to done with this wave. But the really big stuff is done now. I sat in two closings this morning, after zooming up to Fort Collins first to get the reprints of my business cards. After the second close, I jumped in and started shopping and moving and cleaning. I'm not sure whether the sentences I am writing now are grammatically correct, or even vaguely coherent. I'm so tired and so relieved to have lived through this entire day.

I bought my first house in 1998. I went through most of the process alone, because Mr S-P was deployed, but he made it home in time to sign the closing paperwork. Since then, we have bought and sold several times. I was surprised to realize that today was the very first time that I have been at the table with both sellers and buyers in the same transaction, and oddly, both deals were like this. It was even new to watch how the seller was treated. It wasn't until today that I reviewed my life and realized that we have never been on site when we sold a property. We have always just signed papers from a distance. It was new and unusual for me to be present for it.

The first deal was a bit of a panic. My GPS needs and update, and because of it we nearly got lost between the final walk through and the title agency. And then when we got started, more money was wired in from the buyer's sale than expected, and we had to scramble to find a copy of the closing disclosures from the Friday sale to make everything line up properly.

The second deal was smoother, and I needed that. This one really meant something special to me. Now that it has closed, I'm allowed to be very clear that it was my little girl buying her first house. I'm so proud of her for reaching this milestone so early in her life. I was five years older than she is right now before I had the financial ability to buy a house. This loan was a huge process, but she qualified and she got it. She really rocked this whole deal. She's the one who insisted we tour this property, and she was clear with me about writing an offer. She stuck through being in backup status, and when we were able to move up, she was on it. The kids had many hurdles getting all of the required paperwork turned in, but they persevered. I was so happy to hand them keys this afternoon.

But now the hard physical work has just begun. The house was in great shape, but it was bland as a former rental can be. The upstairs bedroom is already deep green (so that if kid has to continue to work night shifts, she can sleep well during the day). I spent hours with strong disinfectant wiping down the cabinets, microwave, and refrigerator. I had so little sleep last night, and I have to be up early tomorrow too. By the end of the night, I was, to be honest, stupid. I am now stupid. And it would be stupid of me to stay up any later than I have to now. Remind me tomorrow to show you why I got so little sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment