Saturday, February 2, 2019

83 Percent

Inspirational song: Pleasant Valley Sunday (The Monkees)

The smoky back rooms called, and I came running, once again. It was time for our biennial reorganization meeting, to elect new party chairs, approve by-laws changes, and recruit volunteers to be delegates to other committees and conventions. I had no interest in holding office in the county party, but I enjoyed meeting up with other political activists who I know well or at least by sight, and rubbing elbows with our elected officials. There was a rumor that the new governor would show up, since he came up through our group, representing all but a sliver of the county in the US Congress. He didn't but that's okay, he was at the last big meeting we had last spring, and his replacement did show up. I missed out on being in that congressional district by just a few blocks. I'd have to check the map to be sure how many. My neighborhood was part of a carve-out in the last gerrymandering attempt, and I'm really not sure what the intent was there. All I know is that my US representative does not represent me or my values, and he's not interested in doing so. I have decided that I'm going to pretend I live a few blocks over, and the new guy is my guy, at least in my heart. If future lines are drawn that put me back in that district, I will be proud to vote to keep him around. I've been following him on Twitter, and I can say that he, like many of the freshman class, showed up to work. They hit the ground running, and it makes me happy.

The first thing they mentioned in the meeting today was the most important number: 83%. That's our voter turnout for Boulder county in last year's congressional election. Second highest in the nation. Someone a few rows behind me called out, "going for first next time!" Our youth turnout was 71%. That is a staggeringly high number. It's exciting living in a place where civic engagement is so high. There were a lot of young people standing for office in the party, too. Several were in their twenties and thirties. My co-precinct leader may swear that the party runs on the backs of little old ladies, and she's not wrong, but around here we've made plenty of room for the kids to work alongside us.

For most of my life, I've wondered how people ended up going to the national conventions. Who is it, exactly, who ends up as a delegate there? Well, I have decided from here on out, I have a goal. I'm going to get myself to the national convention as soon as I can. Next year, if possible. I've taken the first steps to get there. Three years ago I stepped up to be the precinct leader. I went to training sessions, and I showed up to vote in every central committee meeting they asked me to attend. I was a delegate to the county and CD caucuses last year. I volunteered to paper my neighborhood with voter guides and vote notes. I showed up to the vacancy committee in December, making sure we flew home from donating the RV in time for me to attend. And today I put my name on two lists as a delegate and an alternate (one each). I saw a lady walk in early this afternoon with a straw hat with red, white, and blue ribbon bows, and I said to myself, that's gonna be me next year. I'm going to wear the goofy stuff to a national convention sooner than later.






No comments:

Post a Comment