Monday, February 4, 2019

Daily Grind

Inspirational song: The End (The Doors)

At what point should one decide a task is complete, a quest is accomplished? After nearly six years of writing every night, the struggle to find fresh topics has begun to feel less like a challenge and more like drudgery. The quality of my work product is diminished on those nights when topics are elusive. My readership is declining, even on good nights when I have a lot to say and am enthusiastic about it. How much longer should I keep going? Until the point where no one is interested? I’ve said for years that this writing is for me, not dependent on anyone else’s opinion. If I stop doing it every single night, or even if I just tell myself I’ll go to once a week, how long before I miss weeks entirely? Forget that it’s writing day; tell myself I’ll make it up tomorrow. It wouldn’t take a month before I stopped altogether. My audience would be completely gone, and I wouldn’t have the energy to restart and rebuild.

I’m not giving up yet. I’m just having a little crisis of confidence. I don’t know how long it will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment