Saturday, February 16, 2019

Autonomy

Inspirational song: He Won’t Go (Adele)

After a long stretch of mild winter, we are once again moving to a more seasonable pattern of solidly cold overnight lows and a slight chance of snow daily for the next two weeks at least. Today took a turn I hadn’t expected, and dumped a thin coat of wet, slushy snow while I was at my monthly massage. You would think it was significantly colder than it really was, or that our (reliable) hot water heat suddenly shut off. Once I was home, I was swarmed by animals, acting like they needed extra body heat to survive. They won’t leave me alone, and lately, I kinda want them to. When they are fighting for prime real estate on my lap, and when the oldest starts growling at the youngest for daring to share space on my shins, it starts to get old. It’s nice that they are all such cuddlers, but it would be nice to have a say in how often I’m allowed to stand up. They give me such guilt, whining and hanging like they are being mistreated if I pick them up so I can move at all.

I’m in a cranky phase right now, not feeling well, and not wanting to be pressed against by nuclear reactors in fur coats. How does one chase them away while still reserving the ability to bring them back when I feel better? I’m achy and sore and not controlling my own temperature well. And I’m also tired of being shoved off the edge of the bed by a little old lady who probably doesn’t even weigh ten pounds anymore, who takes up an entire king sized bed by herself. I can’t push her around, because she’s old and fragile. I don’t want to yell at her, because we have a lifetime agreement for being besties. Am I going to have to learn to sleep with a door closed? Is that allowed?



No comments:

Post a Comment