Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Shed

Inspirational song: Beds Are Burning (Midnight Oil)

Another day, another 50,000 dead follicles. It's quite amazing, really, how much hair can fall out at once. At one point this afternoon, I lay with my head against the wedge pillow, while I watched TV, and when I got up, I had woven my own little placemat. I was tempted to take an extra shower before bed, to rinse loose a big bundle of hair, so I didn't have to sleep on it tonight, and itch the whole time. I'm just not that motivated. I'll wash my hair tomorrow before I see my new primary care doctor (why, I can't remember--I hope she wrote notes as to why she wanted me to come back). I have a bright pink scarf I bought at the same time as the maroon beanie yesterday, and I'll practice tying it on my head. Up until now, I had just enough hair that no scarf would stay attached. Tomorrow may be different. And if it fails, I have plans to be in Boulder, and I know I can stock up on beanies at REI. One way or another, this will work.

I had my first hearty meal in two weeks at Rotary today. Even so, my eyes were bigger than my stomach, and I ended up sending quite a bit off to the garbage. I'm sort of enjoying having a meager appetite. So far I haven't regained the gallon and a half of water weight I lost that first week. Weight loss has been one of the few silver linings I've been hoping for through this experience. I talked to friends who have gone through this today, and heard personal stories about how their timelines worked out. One person who seems to have the closest experience to mine so far said that her eyelashes and eyebrows took longer to fall out than the hair on her head. We spitballed a little and decided that was probably because the cells in your lashes and brows don't divide as frequently as the other hairs. I've noticed that mine have stayed attached so far, compared to feeling like my head is a giant white dandelion. I predicted that while I would not bother with wigs, all bets are off with fake eyelashes. Unless my eyes are too sensitive to tolerate them (that friend predicted they could be), I'll buy me some fake lashes, and offset a bland face with some fabulous new lipsticks. I can't predict whether I'll draw in some brows.

Once I've checked my schedule, and run it past family members, I'll plan the big head-shaving event. It could be as early as Saturday, or as late as 4th of July. It will be soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment