Tuesday, March 17, 2020

House and Garden

Inspirational song: Design for Living (Flanders and Swann)

I can't believe I didn't see this one coming. I am completely off my game. There I was, sitting on the bed, eating dinner (Don't judge me! All rules are off during social distancing!) and watching the news, when the Mr came in and put a piece of paper in front of me. It had a couple of complex boxes sketched on it, one of them labeled "current." Each set was elongated, and I hazarded a guess. "Patio design?" Nope, he said, the pantry. That makes more sense, considering the overhaul of the patio will be several (probably multiple tens) thousand dollars, and we don't have that kind of cash to throw around this week unless the lottery falls in our lap. But a little shelving for a pantry reorganization? No problem.

I should have known that he wouldn't be able to stay home weeks without tearing something up and remodeling it. I know I've told the story before of him coming home from his first long deployment in the air force, calling me at work on day two saying, "Guess where I'm standing! In the doorway to our new den!" (He had just cut a hole in the wall.) So this is totally in character. It's modest, actually. He must be mellowing with age.

No, I'm just kidding. He's not mellowing. Minutes before he sketched out the pantry design, he went next door to deliver a beer to T. He wore a plastic plague mask he had left over from Halloween. Do you know I honestly wondered just this morning what the hell I was going to write about if we were all locked in our houses for weeks? What a doofus I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment