Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Therapies

Inspirational song: Just Between You and Me (April Wine)

For the first time since last May, I paid a visit to the physical therapist associated with the breast care center. I didn't know whether the problem I've had raising my left arm had anything to do with last year's surgery, and it seemed like a safe bet to consult with that particular PT. Besides, she's really cool and nice to talk to. She evaluated how restricted my movement is on that side, and listened carefully to my description of when and how it hurts. She told me it probably isn't a side effect of the surgery, not lymph related. It's most likely inflammation of the ligament capsule that holds the top of my humerus in the shoulder socket. She gave me exercises and recommended daily moist heat. "Hot tub. Got it," I said. Much like the spine doc last month, she said steroid injections would do me some good, but like that other visit, I was reluctant to go down that path. I'd rather see how far basic therapies get me first.

In the discussion of how I've tried to treat this problem (short answer: grit my teeth and tough it out), I explained how little I like to use painkillers, and how I'm already on twice daily anti-inflammatories. I said I usually forget that CBD exists. She asked whether it's something I can take, with my cascade of autoimmune diseases. I said yes, the rheumatologist has approved it. She didn't say a whole lot more on the topic, but she did get a "you understand this is a decent option" look to her face.

This evening was an open house at a new business in town. A young woman who has just joined our Rotary club opened a shop downtown to sell CBD products exclusively. It is a nice little boutique that I drive past almost every time I'm out and about. I stopped in and joined some other Rotarians for wine and conversation. We had a lovely time (although there was an exciting half-minute when someone's napkin got too close to a lit candle and was fully engulfed in flame when we saw it--no one was injured, but there was a scorch on a table as a reminder of our visit.)

I bought a CBD and menthol muscle ointment to try on my shoulder. I tried it the moment I got home. I don't know whether it was all in my head, but wow, it seemed to help within a few minutes. Honestly, even if it was my imagination, I don't usually benefit from placebo effects, so this would be welcome to me. I'll combine it with the exercises and see where this goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment