Friday, March 27, 2020

Outreach

Inspirational song: Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)

The first time the phone rang, I ignored it. It was a Colorado number, so there was a better than average chance it was actually to me and not spoofed (since my area code does not match the region where I live). But I just didn't want to talk to anyone. I let it go to voice mail. But it rang again immediately, same number. Whoever it was, they really wanted to talk to me. I answered.

I was thoroughly surprised when it was a state senate candidate calling on her own behalf. I've had campaign staffers and surrogates call me this cycle, and until now only once did I get to talk to a candidate themselves (US senate hopeful). It feels unreal to be courted directly by these people. I always thought of politicians as these untouchables, almost mythic creatures of such high station that none of us would be allowed to approach them directly. Why would I imagine that to be true? These people should be those extroverts who live to interact with their constituents. They ought to want to talk to us. It's so weird that I have this old misunderstanding about who our representatives are, and it's so cool that I am corrected in such a personal way.

I am a delegate for county assembly, chosen at caucus a few weeks ago. Assembly is still happening early tomorrow morning, however it will all be via internet meeting apps. I had my first experience with that sort of app on Thursday, so I hope I get this right. I have developed strong opinions about some of the candidates, and want to make sure our precinct is well-represented. We had a good consensus for nearly every candidate. There was general support for the state senate candidate who called me, but I was experiencing some doubts. I had chatted with the other guy before caucus, and was impressed. I liked both of them. I didn't know what to do.

This candidate asked me whether I had any questions, and I honestly didn't know where to start. So instead, she opened the conversation by giving me a bit of her background, and immediately something clicked for me. She was a pharmacist in her pre-politics life (she is a sitting state rep for a neighboring district). As soon as I could loop the conversation back, I raised an issue of immense importance to me: hydroxychloroquine. As a person with lupus, I need this medicine to function at all, and I mean at all. I am very concerned about the run on it, with tons of doctors (dentists even) prescribing it to themselves now that the president is hyping it as a treatment for COVID19. People with lupus and RA are now being denied refills on the medication we rely on to live, based on a hunch, based on dubious science. I asked this politician whether there was any current policy to insure supplies for autoimmune patients. She said there wasn't, but she suggested that I call Express Scripts and ask what they are planning to do. She wants me to call her back and let her know what happens. 

I think my mind is made up. The other candidate seemed like a super nice guy, but this one showed me how seriously she could take my needs, and what she could put in motion to address them. I'm impressed. I think she has won my support.

No comments:

Post a Comment