Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Order

Inspirational song: Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)

The county put out an edict this morning, saying we would shut down completely by tomorrow night. This afternoon, the governor stepped in and moved it up a notch--he issued a statewide order to stay in place as of 6 tomorrow morning. So that's it. We are on full lockdown. So glad I made it all the way through my two week self-isolation period, just in time to....stay at home for a month. 

I've been struggling with the inclination to hoard food and necessities for a few years now. A whole lot went on a while back that wrecked my sense of security in the world. I've had to find a lot of new coping mechanisms, and over stocking the pantry and toiletries closet seemed like a harmless place to overindulge. Now that we are locked in for weeks, having the big Costco packs of toothpaste and a cabinet already full of dried peas and pinto beans doesn't seem so silly. I felt a little vulnerable on dairy products, wondering how long milk and eggs would last if I ended up baking my own gluten free bread because I couldn't go get it. (Never mind that I had been in the habit of rarely eating bread, because now that I might not get it, suddenly sandwiches are all that I want.) But generally, I felt reasonably prepared. The boys hadn't hit that part until this week. Mr S-P made trips to two different King Soopers yesterday, and when the total shut in order came down, he and T went to the 400-Dollar Store to buy everything they could think of. He then made one more trip out for dog food after that, and on that outing he acquired the amaretto I'd been wanting, and a couple of tins of cocoa powder to soothe my great-grandmother's restless spirit that has been haunting me this week. Now my challenge is not "will we have enough," it's "is my freezer big enough?" I rearranged a few things, gave up on a couple of yucky foods that were just wasting space in the freezer, and made space in the beer fridge in the garage. I got everything put away. I'm so proud... and oddly calm.

As I said, my two week isolation passed completely uneventfully. I never got any symptoms. Not one. Now, if the Mr or I clear our throats or cough even a little, my heart skips a beat for a second. But we both seem to be clear so far. I'm out of my mind with worry for the youngest daughter and the littlest Smith who is due in May. She works in an essential job (at the hospital) and I want to throw her in a sealed bubble and protect her. I'm stressed about the oldest too, living out in California, keeping on with her side gig delivering food while her career is slowing precipitously. The foster daughter in the middle should be no worry, working from home, but she went forward with an interstate trip to see her family last week. I swear, I'm going to emerge from this confinement with hair as white as snow from the stress. If it isn't the height of fashion now, it will be by the time we are all free.


No comments:

Post a Comment