Friday, March 6, 2020

Spooky

Inspirational song: Welcome to My Nightmare (Alice Cooper)

The newest binge-worthy series has begun at Smith Park, a scary little number called Locke & Key. We’ve gone through all sorts of suspenseful and spooky and gory stuff over the years, but I can’t remember being as fearful watching a TV series as I am for this one. And when I saw the previews, I seriously thought this was for kids. I don’t think that anymore. Just because the main protagonists are young siblings, two teens and their grade school age little brother, doesn’t make this lightweight. It’s possible the book(s) this is based on are YA, but that’s not a foregone conclusion. There are mature enough scenes, and the language doesn’t sound like kid stuff. It’s great at building tension, and I am legit scared at least once during each episode. I didn’t expect to like it this much, but man, I do. This one is on Netflix. If you are looking for a little diversion, give it a try.

We are going ahead with plans of a baby shower in a month. At the rate things are getting shut down and canceled, like today’s surprise that SXSW is off, I wonder whether it will be a wise idea. The virus has definitely landed in the greater Denver area. I don’t know whether it’s all the way to Boulder county yet. It’s probably just a matter of time. Little S-P III is going to be here in a couple months, virus or no. We have to keep preparing for their arrival.

Tomorrow is the caucus to select down-ballot delegates. I will be there to run my room. I wonder whether people will be interested in being all mashed together with the advisories against close contact. Four years ago, when the presidential choice was still done by caucus, it was a nightmare. The big meeting before we broke up into precincts was a literal crush, with thousands of people jammed into a high school cafeteria. It was loud and hot and you couldn’t avoid touching people. This year we have more locations spread out around town, and the top of the ticket was peeled off and voted as a primary. I think turnout will be smaller. I’m still going to take my own hand sanitizer and tissues to be able to avoid touching anything that spooks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment