Monday, March 23, 2020

Perimeter Walk

Inspirational song: Gravity Falls Theme Song (Gravity Falls)

Today's song isn't very inspirational, but it is so thoroughly stuck in my head, I can't come up with a different one. We were fine, watching the dreadful input from cable news, when the Mr said he was ready to switch to something else. He was up for a few more episodes of Gravity Falls, so that's what we did. Now the only thing louder than the persistent ringing in my ears is the loop of about four bars of the show theme song playing endlessly in my brain.

I sort of made it out of the house today. I decided to harvest a handful of last year's marigold seeds from the dead plants on the front porch. While I was there, I walked almost to the edge of the sidewalk, looking at the recently expanded paisley bed, and the older Unless garden. There are a few more bits starting to turn green, but it's too early yet to strip the tender shoots of their protective crispy blankets. I'll worry about pulling out dry stuff in a couple weeks, when it's warmer.

The Mr is getting our fishpond ready to start back up. He vacuumed some of the winter sludge out of the bottom of it, and has been working on replacing the pump that seized over the winter. (He let it run during the cold snaps as an experiment, to see whether we could keep the fish outside all year round.) I hope we make good progress moving stuff around, restructuring the landscape, doing all the things that were put on hold suddenly last summer.

Our governor has not yet put the entire state on lockdown, but some nearby mayors are starting to go that direction. The Denver mayor did it early today, and it caused a run on liquor stores well beyond the city limits of Denver. One of the places people panic-bought booze was Boulder, where the mayor later followed Denver's lead. They will shut down tomorrow. I don't know whether the smaller towns like ours will do the same. We are planning a run to the grocery store for the morning just in case, to restock on milk, eggs, and hard veggies that will keep well (like onions and potatoes). It would take an awfully long quarantine for me to use up all my alcohol, but I kind of like having amaretto for cooking too, so I might brave the lines of fools. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment