Sunday, March 1, 2020

Kart Wheels

Inspirational song: Drive My Car (The Beatles)

It seems apropos that the day of the calm before the storm ended with an actual snowstorm. Things are about to get really busy around here, and it may not let up for a long time. Last week I had almost nothing on my schedule. Starting tomorrow, I will have maybe four days in the month that don’t have something penciled in. It’s fairly easily divided between medical events, work stuff, politics, and personal improvement. I’m going to wear myself out if I’m not careful. There is a very good chance I will not be as careful as I will need to be.

For today, I took it slow. I cooked an easy breakfast, and later I used up leftover egg yolks (separated when I made an angel food cake) on a cinnamon creme custard. I watched a disappointing CU basketball game. I closed out the night playing Mario Kart with the boys. The only extraordinary event was a two-parter: one, I answered my phone when it was a local number I didn’t recognize (gasp), and two, the person on the line was the actual senate candidate I had already planned to caucus for this upcoming Saturday (double gasp). He and I had a very pleasant conversation. Previously I knew he was a talented politician whose positions lined up well with mine. I had heard positive anecdotes from local party members who think very highly of him. Now I have a personal interaction with him that cemented my support. (For the record, no it is not our most recent governor; it’s a prior speaker of the state house.) I’m glad I actually answered my phone!

Coming home tonight felt ever so slightly magical. There was no real reason it should have. I was just walking home from playing video games with my next-door neighbor, wearing pajamas and my leopard print bathrobe “in public” (on the sidewalk). It was still snowing just a little, and the snow was just icy enough to sparkle everywhere. I was struck with the understanding of just how much I love living in Colorado, especially at this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment