Friday, May 10, 2024

Extreme Coronal Mass Ejection Shenanigans

Inspirational song: Can You Picture That (The Muppet Movie)

We are currently driving through dark skies country, so I need to be fast writing. My phone screen is bright enough to annoy my driver, if I'm not careful. I turned it way down, but still. 

We set out about 1030 tonight, looking for the Aurora Borealis. It was probably going to be visible at home, but we wanted views. We went through the McDonald's drive through for cokes, to keep us awake, and then drove north and east. We kept thinking we should see it, once we cleared Greeley, but we had to go many miles beyond before it was really clear. I kept thinking the coating on my car windows must be filtering it. It was probably true. 

Our #1 housemate scouted ahead of us for a good site. They found the perfect one. Middle of nowhere, off a county road in ranch country. We started taking photos and learned quickly how much more you could see with photos than in person. The colors were way more intense that way. But in person, just looking up, the fast-moving waves of energy were so effing cool to watch!

We got cold pretty quickly, though. It's in the 30s out there, and I had just washed my hair (still wet even now). So half an hour later, and we are headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment