Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Winning the Game

Inspirational song: Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)

Picture it--the last minute of a sports game. The score is tight, and your team has the ball. The winner goes to the playoffs or semi-finals, or whatever. You get excited and anxious and your heartbeat goes wild in the anticipation. The other team calls a timeout, and it take for-ev-er! Play resumes, and they score! That's game! Your team is moving on!

That's how I felt today. We were driving back from a neighborhood near the airport, where we were on a silly mission to trade a couple of our purple and orange irises for a stranger's white ones. Our daughter called and announced she was at Rosales nursery at that exact moment. She couldn't remember which of the greenhouses on the property the succulents and cacti were in. I couldn't remember exactly where we were, so I waited on the edge of my seat while she looked through a few of them. And then she sent a photo. Told me to choose one. There they were, a tray of like seven or eight boobie cacti, for twenty dollars each. Touchdown!

We tried to go for a two-point conversion, and looked for a pink witch aeonium, but from this distance, I couldn't figure out what was what. I'm new to aeonium, so I'll need advice from a garden worker sometime in the future to know what I want. My daughter tried to find a raven ZZ plant, but the only ones she saw were huge and sixty-five dollars. Too much money and too big for her crowded one-bedroom apartment. We each have goals for the next time we get together to buy plants, a smaller ZZ, and aeonium of many colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment