Sunday, May 12, 2024

The Hottest Ticket in Town

Inspirational song: Fight the Good Fight (Triumph)

Stubbornness runs strong in our family. Seeing it develop into a superpower in my grandchildren is one of the least surprising things in my life. They were really feeling it today. They weren't any worse than any other kid, don't get me wrong. They were just purely strong-willed all day. I accept this as my family heritage. Doesn't mean I have a ton of energy for it, though.

It wasn't intentional that we ended up at the Flower Bin, the biggest plant nursery in town, on mother's day of all days. But there we were regardless. It was every bit as crowded as I expected, with a line of cars out into the street waiting to get in, and several young people in orange vests directing traffic in the parking lot. Navigating the narrow lanes through the property with the big, kid-carrying shopping cart was a nightmare. And half the time I couldn't even get Dmitri to ride in the cart, so I would have done better to have one of the little ones anyway. When we finally were ready to check out, the line stretched from the registers at the front of the main building, through the hard goods section (wind chimes and yard art kind of stuff), all the way out into the large annuals greenhouse. I would say it was the equivalent of an entire city block. It did move fast, at least.

I think the impetus to get us there was Mr S-P deciding this was the year we finally add a white lilac to our collection. That was not a decision I was willing to fight. Lilacs are kind of our thing here. While out, I finally found a good selection of brunnera, the shade plant with dainty blue flowers I was raving about yesterday, a nice echinacea in warm orange and red tones, and several perennial herbs I want to grow. For all that I am still so sore from weeding yesterday that I could cry, I guess tomorrow will have a lot of gardening to go through as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment