Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Butter

Inspirational song: Higher Love (Steve Winwood)

We should all aspire to live our lives with the same gusto and hedonistic pleasure as a toddler with a soufflé cup full of cinnamon butter. Holy cow. Dmitri was focused on his "appetizer" at dinner tonight, and none of us would have dared to dissuade him. Live for the moment, my son. Bravo.

I meant to go home after Rotary, I really did. But then I touched my phone while I waited to be able to back out safely, and before I knew it I was telling my daughter I would be right there. We had very few plans for what we intended to accomplish. We just wanted to be out. Or, more colloquially, "a-auutt." We got Italian cream sodas and went through the car wash (which Valerie is finally not scared of). We drove around the outskirts of town while Dmitri napped. And then we went to the larger Walmart and just meandered. The only thing any of us needed to buy was a refrigerant charge for her car's a/c. Didn't stop us from piling a collection of things in the cart. I was restrained. I only bought a pair of men's Levi's in my size on clearance (ten bucks--seemed reasonable). She grabbed a few more items, but thankfully before we got to the front, she changed her mind on a bunch of it. 

We were pretty wiped out by the time we left, but we less than couple hours to catch our breath before our scheduled (rain checked) dinner. We needed something kid-friendly so we settled on Texas Roadhouse. Once the butter ran out, so did Dmitri's ability to sit still. It's tough being almost-two. Overall, we did have a fun night out as a family, which is the whole point of birthday dinners. For the record, no, we did not force my daughter to endure an embarrassing "Texas yee-haw" at the servers' top volume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment