Sunday, June 30, 2024

And Then, Like a Miracle

Inspirational song: Mandinka (Sinéad O'Connor)

You guys! I finally found one! No, even better! I found two

I'd been dragging my feet about starting to paint the dining room, as I had done the last few days also. I only committed to the tiny area around the sliding glass door, but I still would have to move things around to do it, namely all of the plants on the Ikea shelves that live there. In the middle of the day, I started removing items from the shelves, stacking up all my little domesticated rocks and other objets d'art. I watered a bunch of plants and either left them in the sink to drain, or set them in bowls of water to soak from the bottom up. Somewhere around mid-afternoon I finally cracked open the can of paint and started cutting in with the brush. I hadn't done much by the time my messenger app started chirping at me, and I answered to see the face of the cutest grandson imaginable. The kids were calling to invite me out to get in trouble, just a little, as a treat.

We went to Home Depot to get a weeding tool that my daughter wanted for her house. It was horribly hot in the sun on the way there, but I think that was more a factor of how my recent medication change makes me even less able to handle heat. Val was wiped out from playing outside, and fell asleep in the car. She let her mother lay her down in a shopping cart, and I gave her my purse to use as a pillow. That's the first time she hasn't complained about being in a cart since she was an infant.

We went to the back corner of the store, and found the weed scraper she wanted. There was a tiny shovel misplaced near it, and Dmitri found it. He really, really, really wanted us to buy it. My daughter was tempted, but she decided to wait on it. He's still a little young for that sort of implement of destruction.

As we walked towards the front of the store, I went and did the same check for the same plant I have been doing since January. I said out loud that it won't be there, but I'll look anyway. Holy cow, there it was! Two four-inch pots of manjula pothos, waiting for me to buy them! I'm still in shock. They were eight dollars each (before military discount), compared to the single one I saw at the Flower Bin during the winter for eighty. Of course I took both. 

I haven't decided what to do with them yet. I am considering potting them together and making a huge mound of them at first. Then maybe later propagating them and working on running them up mosspoles to size up. But first, before any of that, I have to finish the painting so I can restack my plant shelves and tidy up the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment