Sunday, June 16, 2024

Dads

Inspirational song: Oh My Papa (Eddie Fisher)

Normally I try not to brag too much here, but on a day like this, I ought to. I have managed to make it into middle age and have not one but two dads who I still recognize as truly awesome humans. I know a lot of people who can't say that about the one dad they were allotted, yet here I sit with an abundance of riches. I got to talk to both of them today, to wish each of them happy fathers day, and to wish my step-dad a happy birthday. It would have been cool if one or both were closer, so I could zip over and see them in person, but such is life in a large country.

Our daughters connected with their dad today, one with an extended call, and the other bringing the feral goblins over for some grandpa time. (We included the latter in for a video chat with my step-dad.) Mr S-P went on a walk with the kids and stopped by a park. Even so, they still had rambunctious energy when they arrived here.

We capped off grandpa time by all of us squeezing into my car (a feat with two kid car seats), and went to his favorite local brewery for lunch. The brewery owner and the owner of the restaurant that operates out of it were at the next table. Dmitri made sure they heard every opinion he had. Whatever it was he was telling the brewery owner, he meant it with his whole heart. He might have been complimenting him on the excellent children's menu, or the quality of the raspberry lemonade which he found superior. He might have been suggesting new flavors of beer. We will never know. But just like his grandpa, when it was time to go, it was nigh impossible to get him to wrap up his story and leave. (I can't tell you how many times the Mr has come home hours later than he predicted, explaining, "I started talking to a guy...")

No comments:

Post a Comment