Saturday, June 29, 2024

Hot Rods

Inspirational song: Watching the Wheels (Johm Lennon)

For a day that was supposed to be all about painting the dining room, not a single drop of paint was applied to any surface in this house. That's okay. I have plenty of time for painting later. I found much better activities, on the spur of the moment.

All those "code orange" videos got to me, and my enthusiasm spilled over onto my daughter. We drove down to Boulder on a mission. The closest Joann Fabrics is there, and the one thing I couldn't live without was at that store. It wasn't even in the Halloween collection. It was in fall. When we were in the right aisle, my daughter 10 feet ahead of me, and she found the "fall is my second favorite f-word" mug, she called back to me. I told her to grab it. Another customer and a store employee were between us and saw which one I wanted. Both snickered. The customer said she got that one too. While there, I also bought a small ceramic cauldron from the Halloween or witchy collection, and when I got home, I potted my boobie cactus in it. Seemed apropos.

Occasionally throughout the year, my town has car rallies, where classic cars and rat rods drag Main Street. This was one of those nights. I don't know if it was poorly advertised or bad timing, but the turnout was far smaller than in years past. We put the car seats in the pickup and grabbed the grandkids, and did two circuits up and down Main. Then we pulled over at a bank parking lot and watched folks go by. There were several cool cars, but fewer spectators than I've ever seen. One guy in a flatbed truck was stopped at the light in front of us, and he saw Val waving. He waved back and then honked his giant horn for her. After the kids went home to bed, we stopped at a Noodles and Co and sat outside and continued to watch cars. The parking lot next to the restaurant had a couple dozen street rods parked in it, with folks milling around. Maybe we should have started there, instead of ending our night there.

No comments:

Post a Comment