Saturday, December 19, 2015

Flexible Holiday Plans

Inspirational song: Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes)

I've started getting a lot better at notating things in my calendar. For a year or two, I didn't really need to put in too much, as my social calendar was light enough I could keep most of it in my head (although I did still plug things into my phone when they were important). Now I have to write every single event down, because they are starting to pile up on me. For sure, I am not complaining. But it feels weird to have to plan weeks out, and to tie up big blocks of time, to make sure I don't double-book. It's feeling like the old days again. It's exciting, but it's a little intimidating too.

I managed to keep this Saturday open, and I'm not sure how. It allowed me to jump on the opportunity to go to a basketball game on super short notice, when once again, tickets fell in my lap. My brother in law didn't need his season tickets tonight, and we were all too happy to make sure they got used. Then we found out they had some general admission promotional seats available too, so we were able to bring in two of our dear friends also. We sat in the bench seats behind the season ticket spot long enough to determine that the two chairs next to our reserved spot were conveniently unclaimed. So we all moved down two rows, and watched in relative comfort. Yes, I believe this might have to be one of the early luxury items on my "once my real estate business is providing steady income" list. I would not have predicted ten years ago that I would be interested even in single game basketball tickets, much less investing in season tickets, but I have to admit, it's nice watching a sporting event with comfortable seating, no extreme weather (during the game at least, not necessarily walking to and from the car), and a reasonable shot at winning. The Buffs are 10 and 1 now, losing only their first game of the season, and winning every one since. I doubt the streak will continue much longer, but it sure is fun while it is lasting.

I'm still trying to figure out how many people will be at my house for the holiday, and what will be on the menu that day. I don't have to get too caught up in controlling every detail this year, thankfully, because Smith family gatherings are generally potluck and laid-back. Last year I planned all the way down to every snack and beverage for a long weekend, because I was still new to my restrictive diet, and I was going to be at a mountain cabin, away from my routine. With every minute of my life needing to be planned right now, I think I need to keep this upcoming weekend flexible. Remind me of that in three days when I'm freaking out, please?









No comments:

Post a Comment