Thursday, December 3, 2015

Holly Jolly

Inspirational song: Silver and Gold (Burl Ives)

My brain is full. I attended my first sales meeting this morning, and I learned a whole lot about my new brokerage. The good news is that every moment of it confirmed to me that I am in the absolute right place at the right time. The bad news isn't very bad... I just came home tired and overloaded with information. I needed to take most of the rest of the day off. I closed out my day watching hours of intake and care videos for the latest round of feral rescues up in British Columbia (all hail Tiny Kittens). It's amazing how relaxing and rejuvenating it is listening to Shelly's voice while she soothes and calms cats who desperately need to be in her care.

I may wait until tomorrow to give the full rundown of the new company. The first holiday party-slash-volunteer project is Friday night, and I'll have much to say afterward. I smile every time I think about where I am and who I'll be working with. I have to love a job where my first directive is "Expand your circle of friends. Get to know people." Yes, sir, Mr Boss Man. I can do that. Now that class is over and I'm settled in my home, it's time to start joining groups and becoming a real member of my community. I have a couple ideas where to start.

I'm desperate to decorate my house for the season, but the Mr has been slow-walking me. He hates the idea of putting the decorations up early, but I like getting the most value for my efforts. I've been wanting to do it since Sunday. All night tonight, he kept saying leading statements that I thought would end with "put up our Christmas lights" or something like that, and it always came out more like "put lights in the Jeep" instead. So frustrating. At least our daughter was ready to put up a tree and lights tonight, and she invited us for dinner and tree-trimming. We watched a couple classic television specials, and paid attention to them for the first time in years. Wow, those things are creepy and sexist and intolerant. Some serious plot holes in them too. And I noticed that in all the hand-lettered credits at the beginning of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, they made a mistake. There is a gold present naming all the songs sung by Burl Ives, but it doesn't list his name correctly. It says "Buri Ives." I was amused to catch that.

I enjoyed having dinner by the fire, with the old Christmas specials playing, and the cats pretending they weren't going to murder the decorations dangling from the tree. Now I'm ready to have that experience at my own house (minus the fire in the fireplace--the one feature we both were sure we had to have, that this house lacks). How do I convince the man that it is officially time to get started on it here? I need a good sales pitch.








No comments:

Post a Comment